Friday, September 11, 2009

Reading is FUNdamental . . . and the library is FREE!

If you're a child of the '70s like I am you'll remember that slogan and bookmobiles which were literally a library on wheels. And that marketing strategy must have worked extremely well since I still remember the slogan to this day. And y'all know how I feel about free . . . so this entry is an homage to our local library.


a RIF promo ad featuring author Eric Carle (one of my personal faves)

I think I have a healthy love of reading . . . many of you will attest to seeing me walk to and from the metro reading a book (I often hear "that must be a good book" as I amble along) and know that I have been a regular at our local library. Fortunately, we have a really well run public library system. And I have and continue to take advantage of the programs offered. Besides, now with four kids and a mortgage, I don't have a lot of disposable income to spend on purchasing books, especially given the fact that when it was just Davon and me I went overboard and we have plenty of children's books in the house.

Our local branch has hosted "family storytime" on Thursdays evenings for as long as I can remember. Davon and I have been regulars since the time he was about 2 years old (until our branch closed for renovations for about 2 years) and he is now 14. We continue to go regularly as we expose the three musketeers (Drew, Dylan and Dominic) to what has now become our family tradition. This program also helps us out as Drew and Dylan are required to read at least 20 minutes daily as a part of their homework. They both are slowly becoming independent readers (which is so awesome to witness) and I like to think that our weekly trip to the library helps encourage their love of books (although "love" may be a bit strong some days).

We are fortunate, also, to have two very dynamic librarians in our children's section that alternate hosting our interactive family story time - Mr. James and Mrs. Aisha. Mr. James is like the energizer bunny and is extremely animated. He has an enormous amount of energy and enthusiasm and he really makes the half hour a lot of fun - with his acting out for "guess the nursery rhyme" game, his animal sounds in books that require it, his selection of interactive songs (he introduced us to Billy Jonas . . . go to http://www.billyjonas.com/ for more on this exceptional family friendly folk artist).


Mrs. Aisha, on the other hand, is mellow and comes at us with a different vibe that I really love too. With both of them, you can totally sense their love of books and their sensitivity to the needs of the kids. Regardless of who is hosting storytime, we enjoy each week that we spend at the library. I was sad to learn that this stagnant economy has also affected my family's routine.


With budget shortfalls, our local library system is cutting hours (instead of staff so I am grateful for that) and beginning in October, we will no longer have Thursday evening family storytime because our library will be closing at 6pm rather than the current close time of 9pm. I am saddened by that change but am happy to know that in November family storytime will begin again, but on Wednesdays.

Mr. James in an animated moment

Mr. James mid-story (check out Dylan intently listening)

Mrs. Aisha reading "Otto grows down" at the final Thursday storytime


alright, Dylan, give me some space buddy

No comments:

Post a Comment