Thursday, May 27, 2010

ARRGGGHHH! Ahoy Matey!

Another weekend, another fun find . . . You regulars know I'm a huge supporter of our local parks programs and I found a really unique one - A Pirate Fest. Now who can resist a pirate festival at a local historic location? Not me and my crew so after Drew's football game, we headed over to historic Upper Marlboro to Darnall's Chance (a historic brick home "built in 1742 by James Wardrop, a wealthy merchant and entrepreneur in the bustling 18th century port town of Upper Marlborough" that began its life as a museum of M-NCPPC in 1988) for an afternoon of pirate adventures and fun.

Now y'all know I prefer FREE but cheap is good too so for $5 per person (Nic was free) we headed into the event, albeit a bit late.


There were several children's activities to complete for "doubloons" and after you collected at least five coins you headed to the decoding station to decode the map to the "treasure" room. So we started with "walking the plank."




Then it was on to the "Hammock" which similated actual sleeping quarters on a pirate ship at sea. All the boys enjoyed this area. I wonder if it would have supported my fat butt. Hmmmm.





Then Drew and Dylan went to the "Climbing" station to climb the rigging, or the ropes used to move up and down the masts on the pirate ship. Nic didn't want to do this activity, and I don't blame him. At his size and age, it was a bit intimidating, although his brothers handled it in stride quite easily.



They also had the opportunity to "Swab the Deck" and I think I'll have some serious help cleaning my kitchen floors after watching them get into this one.





There was also the timed Barrel Roll . . . Dylan was very excited to beat Drew's time in this event. And Nic needed a little help from his big brother.



On to the decoding station to trade the doubloons for the map and to find the password ("Jolly Roger") to the Treasure Room . . .


where after getting instructions on how to be a "good" pirate, the boys were sworn in and received their official Pirate License, and a pirate themed treasure (they had the choice of a pirate pencil, a pirate button, a pirate-themed dog tag pendant, a skull ring, an "ARRGGGHHH" sticker or a pirate bracelet). I think we ended up with one of everything.


Then we headed back outside for the live entertainment and demonstrations that included singing, various displays, fencing, parrots and face painting as well as a concessions stand with popcorn and sno-cones. It was a wonderful way to spend a beautiful afternoon.

the "pirates" on hand with their trusty parrots

Dylan is a victorious fencer

Drew practicing for his fencing match

which helped him to be the victor as well (because it couldn't possibly be rigged LOL)

cool pirate stuff like swords and money . . . and the actual pirate himself

checking out his stash

Dylan and his new friend, Bryce, after being painted by Lucky

So not only did we spend a beautiful day outside, patronize one of our local parks and recreation programs, but we met a friend. I hipped his mom to my ridiculous way of finding and sharing free and cheap stuff to do around the area and since he's an only child, she was more than willing to share her email address and cell phone number. So now I have a new member on my mass distribution of free and cheap fun stuff to do with the kids. Sounds like a WIN-WIN to me!



1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I just bought Syd a Dora pirate movie and she's been running around the house randomly yelling "ARRRRGHHH" ever since watching :) Is this an ongoing event? I'd love to see what she does when she meets a "real" pirate!

    ReplyDelete