
Friday was spent doing a lot of last minute running around trips to Party City for paper goods and other miscellaneous stuff, Giant to order his cake and Sams Club for the majority of the food for Dylan's big party we had planned at Watkins Park on Saturday. Many of you know that my kids get an official birthday party starting at age 3, and then every other year because a) they have no clue what's going on when they're really little b) they are expensive c) we know way too many people and d) they're kinda spoiled anyway.
So this was Dylan's second official party. I chose to return to Watkins Park for the venue because the party pavilions are strategically located near the playground and bathroom and we have access to the Nature Center, Old Maryland Farm, the miniature train and the carousel (and the putt putt course). Davon has had several parties there and Dylan's first official party two years ago was there too so it was as good a venue as any. And to me summer parties are meant to be spent outside in the fun and sun.
I was up late putting together my personalized goody bags - which IMHO are the true testament of a good party - with the Spongebob Squarepants theme - which personally I think turned out great with the coloring/activity books that I made (I love free graphics from the nickelodeon website), crayons, the Spongebob bubble sets, stickers, tattoos, jump ropes, paddle ball sets, bucket and shovel sets, crabby patties, fruit snacks, star sunglasses and glow in the dark bracelets. I do make the bomb goody bags if I say so myself.
So Saturday began in the frenzy expected with looming festivities and you're the hostess. I got everything I could packed up. Carlos had early football practice and was going to fill a big container with ice for the drinks and I still had to enlist the help of the boys' "Ti Aunt Linder" (Carlos' sister and my good girlfriend Linda) to help tote supplies to the park since I had the boys with me. We also had to pick up the cake so I was feeling the pressure and anxiety. I was also praying that my caucasian friends would be on CP time like I knew my folk would be.
Overall, it seemed most everyone had a good time although I was a bit disappointed (and Dylan was too) that more people weren't able to make it. But we definitely enjoyed the friends that were there which included some pleasant (albeit a little late to the festivities) surprises. Dylan enjoyed himself and was happy with his stash which included money, gift cards and some cool Spongebob themed board games and sheet set and comforter for his new bed.
We were all dog dead tired and sweaty by the time we finally wrapped things up and I for one couldn't wait until we got home and in the tub. Then we went bowling again on Sunday to wrap up a fun-filled weekend.
Some random pics from the party follow . . . as the hostess I didn't take as many pictures as I should have so let me apologize in advance.

No comments:
Post a Comment