I've been running across a bunch of free (or ridiculously cheap) activities for the boys to do this summer although with me working full time, we haven't capitalized on them as much as I would have liked. Here are a few I thought we would really get down with but alas . . .
AMC movies had their annual AMC summer movie camp which features G- and PG-rated movies each Wednesday morning at 10 am for the low price of $1. They also offer a reduced rate on the AMC kids pack - which includes a kid's sized popcorn, kid's sized drink, and a sweet treat (our theater's is usually a fruit snack) - for the price of $3 (from the regular $5.75). So for the low price of $4 each, you can enjoy a second run movie. Unfortunately, this special deal the proceeds of which benefited the Will Rogers Institute ended on August 5th so I guess we'll have to get in on it next summer. For more info though, point your browser to www.amctheatres.com/smc/.
Not to be outdone, Regal Cinemas offers a Free Family Film Festival during which they show selected G and PG rated movies at 10am each Tuesday and Wednesday during the festival. It's on a first-come, first-served basis with seating limited to theater capacity. Point your browser to www.regmovies.com/nowshowing/familyfilmfestivalschedule.aspx to see if there is a participating theater in your area. This program is still going on in our area so we may be able to get a film in before it's over. I'd hate to miss out on two bomb deals.
Our local park and planning (http://www.pgparks.com/) offered free youth membership id cards for residents aged 6-17 and Drew and Davon both got cards. These cards allow them access to community centers and this summer they could take advantage of swimming in any county pool from 4pm til closing on Fridays and Saturdays. They also were able to register for a free water safety program. Drew and Davon have completed one 4-week session and Drew is in another session now. One more reason I support our local parks. Check the website for other free or low fee activities using the "calendar of events" tab on the left navigation bar.
The three amigos waiting on deck during Davon's class
Drew (left) with instructor Wesley and a classmate learning to float with barbellWe did, however, finally capitalize upon a really good deal. Someone sent me the link for www.kidsbowlfree.com where children can get signed up to bowl 2 free games daily before 5pm all summer long. I even went to the added trouble of buying the entire family bowling shoes so we won't be subjected to the price of shoe rental (or bowling alley cooties). They also offer a family plan for up to 4 additional people to bowl 2 free games as well for what I thought was a relatively inexpensive price (less than $25). I don't really know how much it costs to bowl because the only bowling we've been doing has been on the Nintendo Wii but it's definitely more than FREE so I thought this was a great deal. I ordered the shoes on the internet and the most expensive pair was $25. The little ones and I finally ventured out on this past Sunday instead of hitting up Six Flags (we have season passes) - because of the thunderstorm that morning and the overcast skies for most of the day - and ended up at our local AMF bowling center. Even though two games go by really fast with only me and two little people, we had a good time and it was a fun way to pass a few hours. The boys wanted pizza from the snack bar which was not very good so for less than $20 we had a fun afternoon. I'm not much of a bowler but the boys were excited that I got 100 in our first game. And they did pretty good, getting in the upper 80s in both games. We'll have to hit up the spot more before the month and the program ends.
Drew hoping for a strike
No comments:
Post a Comment