Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Please let this be a good omen for this new school year







So I'm going around after work kid free on Friday to pick up a few things from Target (can anyone say school supplies?) before I go home to my second job as a mommy and what do I see? A full, out and out rainbow. It has been years since I've seen a rainbow but this one was brilliant and the pictures don't begin to do it justice. It was stormy looking outside and a few rain drops fell but you could see literally all the colors of the rainbow and I was praying it was a good omen for the start of a new school year.

I've been teasing that I was feeling like the dad in that Staples commercial who's zooming around on the shopping cart shopping for school supplies as "It's the most wonderful time of year" plays in the background as the kids look at him like he grew another head . . .



because while I hate to see the summer end, I am grateful for the structure that the school year brings. Three of the four are in school so this definitely gives daddy day care a break and I am happy about the earlier bed times but not so much the homework ministry. But I really do appreciate routine so a new school year definitely helps with that.


Drew before I woke him up on the first day of school

Dylan catching zzzs

Drew having chocolate milk and a toaster strudel

Dylan had the same with a sausage patty

getting on the bus

And everything is new about it . . . Davon is starting high school (seriously?) and because of boundary changes in our county Drew and Dylan are actually at a new school this year as well. As is my tradition, I took the day off from work to accompany the little people to school on the first day (although that actually entails waiting with them at the bus stop and then going up to the school) to make sure they are okay with everything and they get where they're supposed to (and to bring the supplies they can't carry themselves).

So I arrive and am sent to the cafeteria for the kindergartners. By the time I get over there, Dylan's already met up with his classmates and is headed to his room so I stopped by Drew's class to make sure he got settled and to drop off his extra supplies. I was happy to see that Drew had a couple of friends - Jersey and Taylor from basketball class at the rec - as classmates. I met some of the other kids and helped pass out the kids' cereal and sporks. I met his teacher, Ms. Pilador, and signed in.

Then I headed downstairs to Dylan's class. Another surprising twist . . . Dylan's pre-K teacher from Allenwood, Ms. Calanog, is also working at Samuel Chase so there are many familiar faces already. We'll have to wait for back to school night to see how many other ones we run across. Dylan also knew a couple of kids - Susan and Marven - from last school year. I helped with the cereal and sporks here too and comforted one little boy who was crying. I met Dylan's teacher, Ms. Talbert, signed in and then stopped by the office to touch base with the registrar to make sure Allenwood sent all of their stuff.

Then I did some more school supply shopping for additional composition books and returned home to clean the boys' room after Nic fell asleep. Davon arrived home and we both went to the bus stop to pick up the little people.
Then we got down to business with the homework which was mostly reading and then Davon had an orthodontic appointment. After that it was dinner, bath and bed (to quote Mrs. Jessie). And I was BEAT. The routine continues again tomorrow.

A few pictures follow.


Nic getting a preview

Dylan awaiting instruction

what's up, man?

Drew in the far back, on the left

Ms. Pilador explaining to the kids what they are supposed to do when they first get in class


Drew with Jersey, Taylor and another boy at their table

Drew getting ready to work it out with some frosted flakes

my babies getting off the bus

"heeeeeyyyyy, Davon!"

walking up the street to the house

alright guys, let's go do that homework



No comments:

Post a Comment