Davon's godparents - Regina and Petey - not too long ago relocated from Montgomery County Maryland to the lovely state of South Carolina (as did their two grown girls - LaShane and Rita) and he began spending his summers there about 4 or 5 years ago. The first year he spent about a week there as we both were testing out his summer away (okay it was more me than him doing the testing) but after that he spent a maximum of seven weeks (even missing his birthday at home for the first time a few years back) being a man of leisure. Usually I either take him down or pick him up and spend a few days relaxing there myself for one of two reasons . . . 1) I enjoy the laid back atmosphere of this traditional African-American ritual (I can't count how many of my friends or friends' parents spent or sent their summers down "south) and 2) it's a helluva long ride to just turn around and come right back.
They live in a beautiful community in Fort Mill, SC, less than ten miles from Charlotte, NC, and near the Carowinds amusement park and Pineville, NC. While they truly live at my absolute driving limit (about 6 1/2 hours from our home), I really do enjoy spending time with them and am so glad Davon has these wonderful people in his life. This year we descended as a tribe of five (Carlos stayed home this trip) and this was Nic's first trip down. We enjoyed days in the pool, chillaxing and just hanging with our extended family. We were even surprised that Regina was there when we got there . . . she actually still works in DC and is kinda bi-residence. So we got to spend some QT with everybody which was nice.
Petey already has his hands full with his granddaughter, Jadyn, but my adding some testosterone to the mix with D to the fourth power was probably a whole lot more than he bargained for. But he handled it in stride and the boys enjoyed him a lot. Nic was even saying "pee-eee" before we left and would beg him and Shane to pick him "uuuhhh" so I guess they passed his test. Jadyn seemed taken for a loop at first but I think she enjoyed having some other little folk around.
We ventured around a bit (I was surprised I still remembered how to get places) checking out Ice Age 3, the Pineville Flea Market (Drew and Dylan got wallets and have been begging for money to put in them ever since), the local Target, Old Navy, Dollar store (so they could break in those new wallets), Toys R Us (for bookbags and toys for Dylan) and KMart. We did a little grocery shopping so I could fix dinner for everyone (and I overdid it, I think there are still some leftovers) one night (one of Davon's faves - chicken parmesan) and hit up the local Golden Corral one afternoon. But mostly we slept in, relaxed and spent many hours in the pool. Nic even fell asleep one afternoon in my arms in the pool . . . ahh, it was just yesterday when Davon did the same thing.
Overall, while it wasn't really a short trip, time on vacation always seem shorter than time at work, doesn't it? Luckily for Davon, he still has about another week of being a "Man of Leisure" which was shorter this summer because of the Jump Start to Graduation program I had him participate in at Crossland to get him acclimated to the high school environment. But soon he'll be back and then it's back into the routine of school . . . and I'm feeling like that Staples commercial . . . the most wonderful time of the year!!!!!! Routine is a parent's life saver for real.
Some of our memories follow . . .
what you doing over there, Nic?
where we spent a lot of time . . . Nic on the "waverunner"
Drew Bug "swimming"
the brother mountain - Nic has the best seat in the house
Drew working my cell phone camera
Drew jumping off the diving board
the goofy threesome fooling around in the living room
ahh, this is the life!
Drew getting his Michael Phelps on









I love the pics!!!! I am so glad that you all had a wonderful time. Theres nothing like vacation:)))
ReplyDelete